Home > Travel > Fast forward rewind: Thailand, part five

Fast forward rewind: Thailand, part five

On our last day on Ko Phi Phi, we got up early and lugged our ‘shit’ (as Habiba would say) down to the ferry port to catch the nine o’clock boat to Phuket. Once at the port in Phuket we were taken in a minibus to a shopping centre in the city of Phuket (‘Phuket’ also refers to the island and the province consisting of same, much like Jeju in South Korea). There wasn’t much for us to do there – we bought some snacks and got a taxi to the airport. The taxi driver was chatty and told us he’d been to Busan in Korea a few times.

Once we arrived back in Bangkok, we went back to the hostel and checked into a mixed dorm. Habiba had a shaky moment when her bag failed to appear once everyone else had got theirs, but it turned up soon after she asked about it.

Our last scheduled day in Thailand was a Saturday, so we headed off to Chatuchak Weekend Market. (We didn’t have our big backpacks to lug around because we’d left them at the airport when we’d flown in the previous day. Clever, eh?)

Chatuchak (or Jatujak; Thai: จตุจักร) weekend market in Bangkok is the largest market in Thailand. Frequently called J.J., it covers over 35 acres (1.13 km²) and contains upwards of 5,000 stalls. It is estimated that the market receives between 200,000 and 300,000 visitors each day. Most stalls only open on Saturdays and Sundays.

The market offers a wide variety of products including household items, clothing, Thai handicrafts, religious artifacts, collectibles, foods, and live animals.

Source: Wikipedia.
We spent a few hours there wandering round looking for souvenirs and gifts. Habiba got some key rings for her students, the fobs of which were little woollen dolls, and some clothes for herself. I got myself some little cats – ornamental ones – and a top. As the description above suggests, almost anything could be bought there; we saw artworks and animals, clothes and jewellery, and a plethora of tat.
Once we’d had our fill of that we took a taxi to the airport to catch our flight to China and from thence home – and that was where the adventure really started …
Categories: Travel
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: